Dagsboro in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Prince George's Chapel
Before the settlement of the boundary dispute between Delaware and Maryland, this area was considered to lie in Maryland. On July 5, 1755, responding to the request of members of the Church of England residing in the upper portion of Worcester Parish, the Maryland Assembly enacted legislation authorizing the purchase of land and construction of a "Chapel of Ease" to serve their spiritual needs. A two acre tract at this location was then purchased from Walter Evans. On June 30, 1757, the newly-completed chapel was formally received from the builders by the vestry of Worcester Parish. It was named to honor the English prince who would become King George III.
By 1850 the condition of the chapel had deteriorated, and services were discontinued. Efforts to restore the church to active use were unsuccessful. Annual services were held here for a time, but for many years the building was maintained solely as a historic site by the Episcopal Diocese of Delaware. In 1928 the Sussex County Laymen's League funded the complete restoration of the old church, and a rededication service was held here on June 30, 1929.
At the urging
Erected 1998 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-118.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 24, 1971.
Location. 38° 32.9′ N, 75° 14.333′ W. Marker is in Dagsboro, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Chapel Lane and Vines Creek Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dagsboro DE 19939, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Rev. Edward Dingle of England (within shouting distance of this Dagsboro (approx. 0.3 miles away); World Wars I and II Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Antioch Camp Meeting (approx. 1.2 miles away); POW ★ MIA (approx. 1.2 miles away); Baltimore Hundred (approx. 2 miles away); Frankford United Methodist Church (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dagsboro.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 8, 2011, by Nathan Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 758 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 8, 2011, by Nathan Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.