Fremont in Sandusky County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Borne the battle
And to his widow and his orphans.
Erected by the people of
Sandusky Co., 1885
[East Side of Monument]
One and Inseparable.
1861. - 1865.
[South Side of Monument]
Victorious defence of Fort Stephenson,
On this spot,
By Major George Croghan and the
Brave men of his command,
August 2, 1813.
[West Side of Monument]
Mutely tell of comrades dead,
Fallen in the line of duty,
Where the needs of battle led.
Erected 1885 by The people of Sandusky County.
Topics. This memorial monument is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites War of 1812 • War, US Civil.
Location. 41° 20.778′ N, 83° 6.904′ W. Marker is in Fremont, Ohio, in Sandusky County. Memorial is on Croghan Street east of High Street, on the right when traveling east. This historical monument is located on the southern edge of the downtown business district, on the grounds of the Birchard Public Library, about 2 and a half blocks west of the Sandusky River. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fremont OH 43420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Betsy (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Stephenson (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Stephenson (within shouting distance of this marker); Near This Spot (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fremont (about 500 feet away); Great Gathering Place (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Fremont (about 600 feet away); Indian Gantlet and Race Course (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fremont.
More about this monument. According to the "Touring Ohio" web site the Soldier's Monument is, "is made of Quincy granite except for the statue at the top which is made of Westerly Rhode Island granite. The entire structure is 44' 3" high. The Corinthian column is 3' in diameter at the bottom and 2' 6" in diameter at the top. The soldier's statue is 8' including the base."
Both the Soldier's Monument and the Birchard Library were built atop the site of Fort Stephenson, where the Battle of Fort Stephenson took place. The grave of the fort's commander, George Croghan is located at the southern base of the monument.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 8, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 746 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 22, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 9. submitted on December 8, 2018, by J. Wesley Baker of Springfield, Ohio.