The village of "old Smithville" was laid out on 640 acres of land granted to Thomas J. Gazley and Lewis Lomas. The town was located on the Colorado River in the northeast section of present Smithville. There were mercantile stores, dry goods shops and a Masonic Lodge. In 1876, the first post office was established with John Pride Jones as postmaster.
The Taylor, Bastrop and Houston Railroad, later a part of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas system [MKT, "Katy"] arrived in 1886 and the town relocated along the tracks.
Legend has it that a coin was tossed to decide if the name would be changed to Burlesonville for Murray Burleson, who gave the land for the railroad depot. The coin toss resulted in "Smithville" being retained as the name, apparently in honor of pioneer settler William Smith.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Hispanic Americans • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1691.
Location. 30° 0.549′ N, 97° 9.561′ W. Marker is in Smithville, Texas, in Bastrop County. Marker is on Main Street. Marker is located in front of the Smithville's City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 317 Main Street, Smithville TX 78957, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Methodist Church of Smithville (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chancellor House (about 700 feet away); Rabb House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Stephen Scallorn (approx. 6.7 miles away); Young School House and Cemetery (approx. 7.1 miles away); Site of Woods' Fort (approx. 7˝ miles away); Felipe Entrique Neri, Baron De Bastrop (approx. 10.1 miles away); The Gotier Trace (approx. 10.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smithville.
Also see . . . El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail . The expedition of Don Domingo Teran De Los Rios was utilizing what is now part of El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail (Submitted on April 4, 2012, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2011, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,358 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 22, 2011, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.