Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hayesville in Clay County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Quanassee Town and the Spikebuck Mound

 
 
Quanassee Town and the Spikebuck Mound Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Stephen Bell, March 31, 2011
1. Quanassee Town and the Spikebuck Mound Marker
Inscription.  In 1700, the river bottoms surrounding present day Hayesville were home to a thriving Cherokee community called Quanassee. The heart of the village was a townhouse, a combined civic center, council house, and temple that was located atop the mound (today called the Spikebuck Mound) that still stands on the bank of the Hiwassee River. Adjacent to the townhouse was an open plaza for ceremonies, dances and games. Individual homes ringed the plaza, and each family maintained a circular winter house and a rectangular summer house, with a small corn house or two. Surrounding the town were orchards, gardens and fields of corn, beans, squash, sunflowers, tobacco and other crops, a half acre for each person in the village.

Archaelogical evidence indicates that Quanassee was a substantial settlement as early as 1550, and most of Spikebuck mound was constructed before the first English explorers came to the area in the 1690s. In 1716, South Carolina officials Col. George Chicken and Major John Herbert met with Cherokee leaders at Quanassee to secure Cherokee alliance in the Yamassee War. In 1717, South Carolina established a public trading "factory"

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(store and warehouse) at Quanassee to supply the region with English manufactured goods in exchange for deerskins and other Cherokee commodities. The main route between the English settlement in South Carolina and the Cherokee towns in Tennessee passed through Quanassee, and the town became a bustling trade center.

In its heyday, Quanassee was home to several hundred people, but by 1721, it was among the smallest Cherokee towns, with only 104 people (37 men, 31 women, and 36 children). The threat of attack during the protracted Creek-Cherokee War (ca 1716-1752) drove many townspeople to seek more secure settlements. Their fears were well founded; in 1725m a Coosa (Creek) war party "cut off" Quanassee, destroying the town and killing or enslaving most of its inhabitants. The settlement was defunct for many years, but a new community established itself at Quanassee prior to the American Revolution. In 1776, Rutherford expedition forces "campt at Quannasy Town on hywasey" before razing the Cherokee Valley Towns. When Benjamin Hawkins passed through the area in 1797, he saw that "...on the left bank of this was the town of Quannasee, for many years the residene of Cornelius Daughterty, an old Irish trader; at present there is nothing remaining of the old town except open flats where were formerly the corn fields..." The area was known as Quanassee into the 1820's, when Baptist

Closeup of map on Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Stephen Bell, March 31, 2011
2. Closeup of map on Marker
missionaries came to preach to families living at "Quansee."
 
Erected by Cherokee Preservation Foundation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraNative Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1700.
 
Location. 35° 2.858′ N, 83° 48.514′ W. Marker is in Hayesville, North Carolina, in Clay County. Marker can be reached from Anderson Street. On the grounds of the ballfields and Civic Center, at the back of the property. After parking, there is a quarter mile walk past a nice mountain view across a bridge to the marker. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hayesville NC 28904, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Clay County Courthouse (approx. half a mile away); Fort Hembree (approx. 0.6 miles away); In Memory Our War Dead (approx. 0.6 miles away); George W. Truett (approx. 0.6 miles away); Towns County (approx. 7˝ miles away in Georgia); Trail of Tears (approx. 7.9 miles away); John C. Campbell Folk School (approx. 8.7 miles away); a different marker also named John C. Campbell Folk School (approx. 8.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hayesville.
 
Quanassee Town and the Spikebuck Mound Marker Closeup of Image image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Stephen Bell, March 31, 2011
3. Quanassee Town and the Spikebuck Mound Marker Closeup of Image
Quanassee Town and the Spikebuck Mound Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Stephen Bell, March 31, 2011
4. Quanassee Town and the Spikebuck Mound Marker
the Spikebuck Mound image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Stephen Bell, March 31, 2011
5. the Spikebuck Mound
The view looking north from the walk to the marker. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Stephen Bell, March 31, 2011
6. The view looking north from the walk to the marker.
This is about 90 degrees of panorama. The left is NW, and you can see parts of downtown Hayesville. The right of the photo is NE, where you can see the Smokey Mountains and close in the rail to the bridge that leads to the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 24, 2011, by Stephen Bell of Biloxi, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 2,349 times since then and 94 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 24, 2011, by Stephen Bell of Biloxi, Mississippi. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=41949

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024