Toledo in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Toledo Zoo / Toledo's Canals
Now ranked among the country's finest, the zoo began in 1900 with one large woodchuck in a box at Walbridge Park. After the organization of the Toledo Zoological Society, 1905-10, the zoo began its steady growth, particularly after 1923 under the leadership of Percy C. Jones. An ambitious federal construction program during the Great Depression of the 1930s provided several major structures.
[Back Side of Marker]:"Toledo's Canals"
The Anthony Wayne Trail, constructed in the 1930s, was built over much of the shared route of two canal systems: The Wabash and Erie, which joined Toledo with Indiana and operated from 1843 until 1874; and the Miami and Erie, which joined Toledo with Cincinnati and operated from 1845 until 1913. These developments in the Maumee Valley were responsible for the creation of the Great Lakes port city of Toledo.
Erected 1987 by Toledo Sesquicentennial Commission and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 12-48.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection, and the The Miami & Erie Canal series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
Location. 41° 37.323′ N, 83° 34.95′ W. Marker is in Toledo, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker can be reached from Anthony Wayne Trail (Ohio Route 25) north of Woodsdale Avenue. This historical marker is located in the parking lot of the Toledo Zoo, very near the western entrance to the zoo. To see this marker one must actually enter into the zoo parking lot entrance that is off of the Anthony Wayne Trail. On most days that will require paying an entrance fee just to get into the parking lot (but on some colder off-season days you can get into the parking lot without having to pay and see the marker for free). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toledo OH 43609, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Toledo Zoo / The New Deal in Toledo (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Toledo State Hospital Old Cemetery, 1888-1922 (approx. one mile away); Edward Drummond Libbey High School (approx. 1.1 miles away); Saint Lucas Evangelical Lutheran Congregation/Saint Lucas Evangelical Lutheran ChurchThe University of Toledo (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Toledo State Hospital New Cemetery, 1922-1973 (approx. 1.6 miles away); St. Anthony Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Medical College of Ohio (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toledo.
More about this marker. The Anthony Wayne Trail that runs between the western side of the Toledo Zoo and it's main parking lot was once the Wabash & Miami - Erie Canal. As stated on the historical marker, during the 1930s the seldom used canal was filled in and the Anthony Wayne roadway was built on top of the canal right-of-way. This was the case from starting in downtown Toledo and going south along the Anthony Wayne Trail, well beyond the southern border of Lucas County. Many of the streams that go under the Anthony Wayne roadway continue to use the original culverts that were made for the canal right-of-way (such as in Texas, Ohio).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 739 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 25, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.