Roger Clap Memorial
We went up the Charles River, until the river grew narrow and shallow, and there we landed our goods with much labor and toil, the bank being steep; and night coming on, we were informed that there were hard by us three hundred Indians. One Englishman, that could speak the Indian language (an old planter) went to them and advised them not to come near us in the night; and they harkened to their counsel, and came not. In the morning, some of the Indians came and stood at a distance off, looking at us, but came not near us. But when they had been a while in view, some of them came and held out a great bass towards us; so we sent a man with a biscuit, and changed the cake for the bass. We had not been there many days, (although by our diligence we had got up a kind of shelter to save our goods in,) but we had order to come away from that place which was about Watertown, unto a place called Mattapan now Dorchester, because there was a neck of land fit to keep our cattle on.
From Roger Clap’s Narrative
Erected 1947 by Historical Society
Topics. This historical marker memorial is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 42° 21.61′ N, 71° 10.449′ W. Marker was in Watertown, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker was on Charles River Road near Beachwood Avenue, on the right when traveling east. The marker was about 10 or 12 feet from the sidewalk toward the Charles River in a grove of trees. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: Across from 310 Charles River Road, Watertown MA 02472, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Watertown (approx. 0.7 miles away); Gen. Henry Knox Trail (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of Early Meeting House (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Watertown (approx. 1.9 miles away); Sir Richard's Landing (approx. 2.1 miles away); Civil War Soldiers Monument (approx. 2.6 miles away); Vassall-Craigie-Longfellow House (approx. 2.7 miles away); a different marker also named Gen. Henry Knox Trail (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Watertown.
More about this memorial. The Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercenterary Commission erected a sign here in 1930 that was either removed or destroyed. The Historical Society of Watertown replaced it with the current monument. According to "Historical Markers of the Massachusetts Bay Colony," the former sign read, "Roger Clap's Landing. Near this spot Roger Clap and other passengers of the "Mary and John," coming by boat from Nan-
tasket landed their goods "with much labor and toil" in June, 1630. They shortly rejoined their companions at Mattapan who had founded there the town of Dorchester."
Additional keywords. trade, first contact
Credits. This page was last revised on March 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 13, 2011, by David Russo of Watertown, Mass.. This page has been viewed 537 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 13, 2011, by David Russo of Watertown, Mass.. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.