Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Field Headquarters of the Union Armies
Major General Ulysses S. Grant.
— November 25th, 1863. —
Field Headquarters of the Union Armies.
Maj. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant
Nov. 25th, 1863.
General Grant was assigned to the Military Division of the Mississippi, comprising the Departments of the Ohio, the Cumberland, and the Tennessee, October 16th, 1863. He arrived at Chattanooga on the 23d.
He had under his command for the Battle of Chattanooga the Army of the Cumberland, General George H. Thomas; the Eleventh and Twelfth Corps, General Joseph Hooker, and four divisions of the Army of the Tennessee, General W. T. Sherman. General Hooker's command was assigned to the Army of the Cumberland. On the afternoon of November 23d Sheridan's and Wood's Divisions of the Fourth Corps supported by the Eleventh Corps on the left and Baird's Division of the Fourteenth Corps in reserve on the right, carried Orchard Knob and Indian Hill to the south of it, constituting the enemy's central line through the plain. On the afternoon of the 24th, Sherman's Army with Davis' Division of the 14th Corps having crossed the Tennessee
On the same day, Hooker's forces in Lookout Valley, consisting of Geary's Division of the 12th Corps, Cruft's of the 4th, and Osterhaus' of the 15th, carried Lookout Mountain.
On the 25th these forces advanced to Rossville Gap and carried the south end of Missionary Ridge in the afternoon of that day. At 3:15 P.M. of the 25th Johnson's, Sheridan's, Wood's and Baird's Divisions, formed from right to left in the order named, starting from this central line captured on the 23d, assaulted and carried first the rifle-pits at the base of the ridge, and immediately thereafter the crest of Missionary Ridge for a distance of three miles. The whole movement occupied a little over an hour, and the captures were 40 guns and about 2,000 prisoners.
Erected 1890 by the Chickamauga-Chattanooga National Battlefield Commission. (Marker Number MT-67.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Orchard Knob Reservation, the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park: November 25, 1863Former U.S. Presidents: #18 Ulysses S. Grant series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is October 16, 1970.
Location. 35° 2.383′ N, 85° 16.433′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker can be reached from Orchard Knob Avenue north of Ivy Street, on the left when traveling north. This historical marker is located in the middle of a residential neighborhood, in the city of Chattanooga, a little less than a mile west of Missionary Ridge. It is situated on the crest of the Orchard Knob Reservation, National Military Park and is positioned at the end of the pathway that leads to the crest of the hill from the park entrance at the corner of Ivy Street and Orchard Knob Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37404, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The State of Maryland (here, next to this marker); Battle of Chattanooga. (a few steps from this marker); Bridges' Battery, Illinois Light Artillery (a few steps from this marker); Illinois State Monument (a few steps from this marker); Confederate Casualties (a few steps from this marker); New York Monument (a few steps from this marker); Union Casualties (a few steps from this marker); 82nd Ohio Infantry (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
Regarding Field Headquarters of the Union Armies.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Use these links to see the tablets of the various army groups, listed on this tablet, under Grant's command at Chattanooga.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2017. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 650 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 14, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 4. submitted on September 29, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.