The Unicoi Turnpike
Permission to open the route as a toll road was given by the Cherokees in 1813 to a company of white men and Indians. Tennessee and Georgia granted charters to the concern.
Prior to its opening as a road, the way was part of a trading path from Augusta to the Cherokees of Tennessee.
Erected 1997 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 068-4.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 38.307′ N, 83° 28.618′ W. Marker is in Clarkesville, Georgia, in Habersham County. Marker is at the intersection of Hollywood Highway (Old U.S. 441
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Summer Home of Joseph Habersham (approx. 1.2 miles away); Living & Learning In The Mountains (approx. 3.1 miles away); Grace Protestant Episcopal Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); Toombs-Bleckley House (approx. 3.1 miles away); Clarkesville War Memorial (approx. 3.3 miles away); Habersham County (approx. 3.3 miles away); Habersham Iron Works & Mfg. Co. (approx. 5.8 miles away); Piedmont College (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarkesville.
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker of the same title and text erected by the Georgia Historical Commission at this location, which had disappeared.
Categories. • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles •
More. Search the internet for The Unicoi Turnpike.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 742 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 23, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.