Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fairfield in Freestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Lewis Corner

 
 
Lewis Corner Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Darlene White
1. Lewis Corner Marker
Marker prior to installation.
Inscription.  Known as Lewis Corner because of a sharp curve in the road. This nearby location was home to Eugene Lewis, Sr. (May 31, 1884-May 18, 1966) and wife Jessie Ward Lewis (Feb.9, 1890-Jan. 1,1968). The Lewises and their 10 children resided here from 1915 unil 1966 on land owned by their friends, the F.E. Hill family, in Blount community.

Eugene was a self-educated and well respected man who served with Delbert Ivy and Henry Richardson on the school board of Rocky Springs School District, which was composed of the schools of Blount, Spring Bank, Titus Farms, Flat Woods, Rocky Springs and Union. He also served as a leader in the Trinity Chapel Church. Lewis raised swine and cattle and grew cotton, corn, sugarcane, sorghum, and vegetable crops. Approx. 350 yards northeast is the location of the original Hill Family Cemetery dating to the late 1800s. Other nearby communites included Turlington, Antioch, Troy, Trinity Chapel, Brown's Creek, Young's Mill, Titus Farms, and Pilot Knob (highest elevaton in Freestone County).

This site is known locally as "The Gene Lewis Field" and is now owned by Luminant Mining Company.
 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
2011 by Luminant Big Brown-Turlington.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureAnimalsCemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1915.
 
Location. 31° 46.699′ N, 96° 2.369′ W. Marker is near Fairfield, Texas, in Freestone County. Marker is on Blount Road (County Road 235), on the right when traveling north. Location is approximate. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fairfield TX 75840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Freestone Jail (approx. 7.8 miles away); Butler Church Bell (approx. 7.8 miles away); The Fridolin (Fred) Fischer Home (approx. 7.9 miles away); Site of Law Office General John Gregg (approx. 7.9 miles away); Val Verde Battery (approx. 8 miles away); Captain L.D. Bradley (approx. 8 miles away); Freestone County (approx. 8 miles away); The Manahan House (approx. 8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairfield.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2011, by Darlene White of Ferris, Texas. This page has been viewed 803 times since then and 33 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on July 17, 2011, by Darlene White of Ferris, Texas. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of installed marker and its surrounding area. • Confirmed coordinates of marker. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=43950

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024