Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nyack in Rockland County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Nyack First Settlement

 
 
Nyack First Settlement Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2011
1. Nyack First Settlement Marker
Inscription.  
The Tappan Indians, from time immemorial, occupied these lands fronting on the river shore. Here, in summer, they lived upon the fish and oysters which the waters produced in abundance. In the Algonkian dialect, spoken by them, they called this locality
Nay – Ack which, being translated, means The Fishing Place
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
The First Settlement
of white people within the limits of the present
Rockland County, New York
took place in 1675
when Harman Dowesen Tallman, a young Dutchman of Bergen, New Jersey – now Bergen Square, Jersey City Heights – located here, probably as an Indian trader. His own and other Dutch families followed a few years later and the Tallmans erected a mill upon the stream which still is known as Mill Brook.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
The tract of land on which the principal part of Nyack Village is built remained in possession of successive generations of the Tallman family until 1799 when it was sold to Abraham Lydecker at less then $25 an acre. Lydecker, in 1813, sold the same tract to
Tunis and Peter
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Smith

to whom must be awarded the title of
The Founders of Nyack Village
for they, between 1814 - when there were but seven houses here – and 1828, laid out the first streets and sold building lots, thus starting the development of the modern village.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Incorporation of Nyack Village:
All the territory lying within the present bounds of Nyack and South Nyack was set off as an incorporated village October 23, 1972 - - - in a wave of dissension over public improvements the first charter was dissolved February 7, 1878 - - - The present Village of Nyack, within its narrower limits, was incorporated February 27, 1883.

This tablet erected by the Rockland County Society in the 263rd year of the settlement, A.D. 1938

 
Erected by Rockland County Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the New York, Historical Society of Rockland County series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 7, 1839.
 
Location. 41° 5.418′ N, 73° 55.082′ W. Marker is in Nyack, New York, in Rockland County. Marker is on Burd Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is
Nyack First Settlement Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2011
2. Nyack First Settlement Marker
on the side of a building on Burd Street, between S Broadway and Piermont Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17 S Broadway, Nyack NY 10960, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Reformed Church of Nyack (within shouting distance of this marker); Couch Court (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Memorial Park (about 500 feet away); Capt. John Green (about 600 feet away); Bench by the Road: Cynthia Hesdra (about 600 feet away); Hopper House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carson McCullers (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Underground Railroad (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nyack.
 
Marker on Burd Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2011
3. Marker on Burd Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,165 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 7, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=44310

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 19, 2024