Varnell in Whitfield County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Federal Road
Erected 2001 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 155-29B.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1805.
Location. 34° 53.589′ N, 84° 56.797′ W. Marker is in Varnell, Georgia, in Whitfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Cleveland Highway (Georgia Route Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Varnell GA 30756, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Prater’s Mill Store (approx. 1˝ miles away); Prater’s Mill and The Civil War (approx. 1˝ miles away); Prater's Mill (approx. 1˝ miles away); Water Turbine (approx. 1˝ miles away); Dr. Lacewell’s Office (approx. 1˝ miles away); a different marker also named Prater’s Mill (approx. 1˝ miles away); Cotton Gin (approx. 1.6 miles away); Historic Varnell Home (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Varnell.
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker of the same title and text, erected by the Georgia Historical Commission at this location, which had disappeared.
Regarding Old Federal Road. This intersection was formerly Georgia Highway 2, which follows the Old Federal Road, until that highway was rerouted a short distance to the north.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 17, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 655 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 17, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.