Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Middleton in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Stamm House

 
 
The Stamm House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William J. Toman, July 29, 2011
1. The Stamm House Marker
Inscription.  The Stamm House, built in 1847, was an early inn and provisions center for the travelers of the federal military road. The bygone scene saw stage-coaches, wagons of settlers and traders, and native Americans from nearby lakeside encampments. Later it was the Bubbert General Store and the first post office for Pheasant Branch, now Middleton. The inn is built of native limestone with a stone vaulted wine and provisions cellar. The upper meeting place and ballroom floor was reputed by early folk to have "an fine spring" for dancing. The Stamm house is one of the most venerable old structures in Dane County.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicIndustry & CommerceNative AmericansRoads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
 
Location. 43° 6.274′ N, 89° 29.674′ W. Marker is in Middleton, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of Century Avenue (County Highway M) and Old Creek Road, on the right when traveling east on Century Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6625 Century Avenue, Middleton WI 53562, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Stamm House back entrance image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jim Schaettle, July 20, 2020
2. Stamm House back entrance
Click or scan to see
this page online
are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Social Whirl (approx. 0.6 miles away); Thorstrand (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Lemcke Farm House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Pheasant Branch Encampment (approx. 1.2 miles away); Mendota (approx. 1.3 miles away); Hickory Hill House (approx. 1½ miles away); Hocheera (approx. 1.7 miles away); Blackhawk Country Club Mound Group (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Middleton.
 
Also see . . .  Stamm House History. The history page from the Stamm House Restaurant web site. (Submitted on August 1, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 
 
Outdoor seating behind the Stamm House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jim Schaettle, July 20, 2020
3. Outdoor seating behind the Stamm House
The Stamm House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William J. Toman, July 29, 2011
4. The Stamm House Marker
The marker is to the left of the front door.
The Stamm House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William J. Toman, July 29, 2011
5. The Stamm House Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 31, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 715 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on July 31, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.   2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2020, by Jim Schaettle of Madison, Wisconsin.   4, 5. submitted on July 31, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=45340

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 25, 2022