Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Omaha in Stewart County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Roanoke

 
 
Roanoke Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
1. Roanoke Marker
Inscription.  Roanoke, ½ mile west of here on the east bank of the Chattahoochee River was originally an Indian village. Incorporated in 1832 with about 30 families, a post office and several stores, it became a thriving white settlement. Roanoke was attacked by a small band of Creek Indians, May 13, 1836. These were easily repulsed but two nights later, May 15, 1836, about 300 Creeks in a surprise attack burned the town. It was never rebuilt. Instead Florence, 2 miles above on the river, became a flourishing town and river outlet for surrounding territory. Florence was first called Liverpool.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 128-10.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 13, 1738.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 32° 3.001′ N, 85° 2.196′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker was near Omaha, Georgia, in Stewart County. Marker was on Georgia Route 39, 3 miles south of Georgia Route 39C, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Omaha GA 31821, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Fort Jones (approx. 0.7 miles away); Florence (approx. 2.7 miles away); Battle of Shepherd’s Plantation (approx. 3.8 miles away); Fort McCreary – 1836 (approx. 6.6 miles away); Indian Trail (approx. 7.3 miles away); Providence United Methodist Church (approx. 7˝ miles away); Rev. David Walker Lowe (approx. 7.8 miles away); Glennville (approx. 10.1 miles away in Alabama). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Omaha.
 
Additional commentary.
1. Missing
This marker is either gone or not roadside.
    — Submitted September 28, 2018, by Amanda Bowers of Indianapolis, Indiana.
 
Roanoke Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
2. Roanoke Marker
Looking north on Georgia Highway 39 toward Fort Jones and Florence
Roanoke Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
3. Roanoke Marker
Looking west toward the site of Roanoke and the Chattahoochee River. The marker has been installed with the arrow pointing in the opposite direction.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 20, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 658 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 20, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=46280

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024