Helotes in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early Texas Pioneer John M. Ross acquired title to the land here in 1836, purchasing rights to a Republic of Texas land grant from Almazon Huston, Quartermaster General of the Republic of Texas Army. In 1852 Ross sold the property to Thomas Devine and Francis Giraud, who formed a partnership to survey to land and sell it in smaller plots. In 1858 Dr. George Frederick Marnoch purchased the land which later became the townsite of Helotes.
The town of Helotes developed around the home and mercantile store of Arnold Gugger, who purchased property from Marnoch's heirs in 1880. Gugger became postmaster in 1888, and in 1908 sold his land to Bert Hielman, who opened the Town's first dance hall.
Many farms and cattle and sheep ranches were established in the area. Helotes became a popular stop for a cowboys driving cattle to auction in San Antonio. Many descendants of early settlers still live in the
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2432.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Anthropology & Archaeology • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 34.65′ N, 98° 41.42′ W. Marker is in Helotes, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is on Old Bandera Road south of Floore Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14492 Old Bandera Rd, Helotes TX 78023, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gugger Homestead (here, next to this marker); John T. Floore Country Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Marnoch Homestead (approx. 0.6 miles away); Scenic Loop Playground (approx. 2.6 miles away); Zion Lutheran Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Zion Lutheran Church and Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away); R.L. White Ranch (approx. 4˝ miles away); First Officers Training Camp (approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Helotes.
Also see . . .
1. "Pavo Real" Paleo-Indian / Archaic Site. Related to the archaeological importance of Helotes and the surrounding area, a few miles from here is the Pavo Real site, which includes evidence of Clovis and Folsom peoples (Submitted on September 7, 2011, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
2. Handbook of Texas Online, History of Helotes. (Submitted on September 7, 2011, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
3. Wikipedia, History of Helotes. (Submitted on September 7, 2011, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2011, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,727 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 7, 2011, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.