Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Linwood Cemetery

 
 
Linwood Cemetery Marker, Side 1 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
1. Linwood Cemetery Marker, Side 1
Inscription.  A part of the 1828 plan of Columbus, Linwood contains graves of pioneer citizens and their descendents, as well as the tombs of some 200 Confederate soldiers. Among those buried here are Anna Caroline Benning (1853-1935), who formed the “Columbus Committee” of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Georgia; General Henry L. Benning (1814-1875), Confederate leader for whom the military post was named; industrialist and philanthropist W.C. Bradley (1863-1947); Dr. Edwin DeGraffenried (1798-1871), one of the city’s original five commissioners; Noble Leslie DeVotie (1838-1861), Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity founder;

(Continued on other side)

(Side 2):
(Continued from other side)

Helen Augusta Howard (1865-1934), founder of the Georgia Woman Suffrage Association; Ulysses Lewis (1799-1856), city’s first intendant and kinsman of George Washington; pharmacist John S. Pemberton (1831-1888), originator of the formula for Coca-Cola; the Reverend Dr. Lovick Pierce (1785-1879), the “Nestor of
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Southern Methodism”; Philip T. Shutze (1890-1982), 20th century neo-classical architect; Springer Opera House founder Francis J. Springer (1834-1882); and physician-poet Francis O. Ticknor (1822-1874). Named for Ernest Linwood (1856), a novel by Caroline Lee Hentz, the cemetery was entered on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
 
Erected 1993 by The Columbus Town Committee of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Georgia to Commemorate the Centennial of the NSCDA in Georgia, 1893-1993.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames of America, National Society of series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1828.
 
Location. 32° 28.584′ N, 84° 58.947′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is at the intersection of Linwood Boulevard and 8th Street, on the left when traveling east on Linwood Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus GA 31901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brigadier General Henry Lewis Benning (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Dead (about 400 feet away);
Linwood Cemetery Marker, Side 2 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
2. Linwood Cemetery Marker, Side 2
This Gun (about 500 feet away); Establishment of Memorial Day (about 600 feet away); Columbus' First Jewish Cemetery (about 700 feet away); Colored Department of the City Hospital / Doctors and Nurses (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Winona Cargile Alexander: A Founder of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Linwood Cemetery Marker, Side 1 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
3. Linwood Cemetery Marker, Side 1
Looking west on Linwood Boulevard
Linwood Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
4. Linwood Cemetery Marker
Looking east on Linwood Boulevard
Linwood Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
5. Linwood Cemetery Marker
Looking east, with the cemetery fence on the left and Linwood Boulevard on the right
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 871 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 8, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=46947

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024