Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Montpelier in Hanover County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Cedar Creek Quaker Meeting House

 
 
Cedar Creek Quaker Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, September 18, 2011
1. Cedar Creek Quaker Meeting House Marker
Inscription.  English immigrant Thomas Stanley, born about 1670, championed the right to religious freedom early in the 1700s. Stanley gave nearby land for a Quaker meetinghouse, school, and cemetery. Until the 19th century, the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) convened here for worship. Here in 1767, Quakers spoke out strongly against enslavement of blacks, which resulted in a 1772 resolution prohibiting the purchase and hiring of slaves by Quakers. By 1779, they had recommended freeing all slaves and approximately 200 were freed as a result. In 1875, the meeting was disbanded because of westward Quaker migration. The building burned in 1904.
 
Erected 2009 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number I 10-c.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RRChurches & ReligionColonial Era. In addition, it is included in the Quakerism, and the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1670.
 
Location. 37° 49.419′ N, 77° 37.759′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Montpelier, Virginia, in Hanover County. Marker is at the intersection of West Patrick Henry Road (Virginia Route 54) and Quaker Church Road (Virginia Route 803), on the left when traveling west on West Patrick Henry Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Montpelier VA 23192, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Scotchtown (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named Scotchtown (approx. 2.7 miles away); Sycamore Tavern (approx. 3.2 miles away); Fork Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); Church Quarter (approx. 5.9 miles away); Stuart's Riders Skirt Ashland (approx. 6.7 miles away); John Preston Clarke (approx. 7 miles away); Stuart Turns North (approx. 7.4 miles away).
 
W Patrick Henry Rd (facing west) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, September 18, 2011
2. W Patrick Henry Rd (facing west)
W Patrick Henry Rd (facing east) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, September 18, 2011
3. W Patrick Henry Rd (facing east)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,977 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 19, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=47374

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024