Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Tolomato Cemetery

 
 
Tolomato Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
1. Tolomato Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  During the First Spanish Period, prior to 1763, this site was occupied by the Christian Indian village of Tolomato, with its chapel and burying ground served by Franciscan missionaries. The village was abandoned when Great Britain acquired Florida. In 1777 Father Pedro Camps, pastor of the Minorcan colonists, who had come to St. Augustine after the failure of Andrew Turnbull's settlement at New Smyrna, obtained permission from Governor Patrick Tonyn to establish this cemetery for his parishioners. Father Camps was buried here in 1790; ten years later his remains were re-interred in the "new church", the present Cathedral. The first bishop of St. Augustine, Augustin Verot (d. 1876), is buried in the mortuary chapel at the rear of the cemetery. The last burial took place in 1892.
 
Erected by St. Johns County Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionNative Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1763.
 
Location. 29° 53.817′ N, 81° 18.891′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker is on Cordova Street, on the right when traveling south. Located at the entrance to the cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tolomato Indian Village (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rosario Defense Line (within shouting distance of this marker); The 1886 Old Drugstore (within shouting distance of this marker); Santo Domingo Redoubt (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Santo Domingo Redoubt (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Santo Domingo Redoubt (about 300 feet away); Los Floridanos (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Santo Domingo Redoubt (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Tolomato Cemetery Entrance and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
2. Tolomato Cemetery Entrance and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 671 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 19, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=47388

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 22, 2024