Near Fort Hunter in Montgomery County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Putman's Lock Grocery
Erected by Schoharie Crossing State Historic Site.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Erie Canal series list.
Location. 42° 57.167′ N, 74° 14.282′ W. Marker is near Fort Hunter, New York, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Queen Anne Street. The marker is within Schoharie Crossing State Historic Site, posted between the two lock chambers of Old Erie Canal Lock number 28, which is also known Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Hunter NY 12069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Johnson, 1749 (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Johnson (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Johnson (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Orchard at Old Fort Johnson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Johnson Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Claus Mansion (approx. 0.9 miles away); Amsterdam World War Memorial (approx. one mile away); Center of Operations (approx. 1˝ miles away).
Regarding Putman's Lock Grocery. Putman's Store began as a family business. Garret and his son John were listed as grocers in the 1855 New York State census. Their wives, Garret's daughter and another son were also part of the household living at the family homestead near the store. By 1860, the scene had changed. John and Garret had returned to farming, while neighbors of the Putmans ran the canal store. Thus began a pattern that would last until 1892; the Putman's owned the grocery while an ever-changing roster of neighbors acted as the grocers. Althought Johnn Putman was again listed as a store keeper in 1892, he later returned to farming. It is probable that by 1900, or 1905 the latest, the store was no longer
In its heyday, the fourteen-mile section of the Erie Canal near Amsterdam, New York, boasted forty stores. Businesses similar to the Putman's Grocery were located at just about every lock on the canal and at many points in between. As one canalman noted, these stores provided an astounding variety of goods and services. Canalside stores stocked anything a canal fleet needed in the way of patent medicine, cooking pots, tinware, candy, food, shoes, clothing, raingear, and drygoods. Also available were supplies such as hay, oats, straw, or shavings, harnesses, horse collars, whiffle trees, tow lines, horse bridges, fenders, pike poles, hardware, etc. It was also possible to replenish cooking and drinking water at these places; kerosene, or coal oil had to be obtained from these supply points as oil lamps were the only type of illumination to be had on the canal boats at that time.
Also see . . .
1. Schoharie Crossing State Historic Site. (Submitted on September 24, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
2. Enlarged Erie Canal "Yankee Hill" Lock No. 28 at Fort Hunter, N.Y. (Submitted on September 24, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Additional keywords. Yankee Hill Lock Lock 28 Lock No 28 Lock #28 Fort Hunter
Credits. This page was last revised on May 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 24, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 710 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on September 24, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.