Near Proctor in Saint Louis County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
David von Schlegell (1920 – 1992)
The stainless steel sculpture functions as a metaphor, tying the horizontal lines of the land and Lake Superior, which are both very visible from this location, together at the point of intersection with the City of Duluth. The Gate serves to recognize the importance of Duluth, as not only a gateway to Minnesota's north shore, but also to the world through the Great Lakes St. Lawrence Seaway that extends 3700 kilometers (2,300 miles) east to the Atlantic Ocean.
David von Schlegell was born in St. Louis, Missouri. His father was William von Schlegell, an American Impressionist painter. David von Schlegell also began his career as a painter, but turned to sculpture in the early 1960's. Throughout his career, Mr. von Schlegell received many public commissions and several grants and awards, including the Skowhegan Medal for Sculpture in 1978. He evolved a vocabulary of streamlined abstract forms and planes that reflected his knowledge of Constructivism, as well as his lifelong interest in yacht and airplane design. He served
Fabricated by Lippincott Inc. of North Haven, Connecticut, the metal sculpture measures 12.2 meters long (40 feet) and rises 10.6 meters (34 feet, 9 inches) above the ground. It has an estimated mass 4500 kilograms (10,000 pounds). It was commissioned in 1969 by a Federal and State artist selections panel and funded as a partnership project between the National Endowment for the Arts, the Minnesota State Arts Board, the Minnesota State Highway Department, the Duluth Bicentennial Commission and Mrs. Eva Glimcher, a local private donor.
(caption below photo)
Sculptor David von Schlegell was inspired by Duluth's position as a gateway to the world, as well as, the location of this site within the community when he designed this sculpture for Thompson Hill Rest Area.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Education • Environment • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1976.
Location. 46° 43.784′ N, 92° 12.329′ W. Marker is near Proctor, Minnesota, in Saint Louis County. Marker can be reached from Interstate 35 at milepost 249, on the left when traveling north. Marker is at Thompson Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Duluth MN 55810, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Minnesota’s Seaport / Welcome to Minnesota (within shouting distance of this marker); Geology of Duluth Harbor (within shouting distance of this marker); Gonyea, Verville and National Guardsmen Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Engine 225 (approx. 1.2 miles away); Oneota (approx. 3.4 miles away); Rice's Point (approx. 4.9 miles away); Summer White House - 1928 (approx. 5 miles away in Wisconsin); Enger Observation Tower (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Proctor.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 23, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,663 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 15, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.