Near Perdue Hill in Monroe County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Piache, an Indian town visited by DeSoto in 1540 was near here.
DeLuna made a settlement here, Nanipacna in 1560.
Fort Claiborne was erected on the south bluff, in 1813.
LaFayette was entertained here, 1825.
Erected by the Alabama Society of Colonial Dames. March 1939
Erected 1939 by Alabama Society of Colonial Dames.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts and Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Lafayette’s Farewell Tour series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1540.
Location. 31° 32.684′ N, 87° 30.777′ W. Marker is near Perdue Hill, Alabama, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 84 and Old Fort Claiborne Road, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 84. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Perdue Hill AL 36470, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Claiborne (here, next to this marker); Fort Claiborne Perdue Hill Industrial School (approx. 1½ miles away); Dellet-Bedsole Plantation (approx. 1.6 miles away); William B. Travis House (approx. 2.1 miles away); Masonic Lodge No. 3 (approx. 2.2 miles away); John Murphy (approx. 5.4 miles away); French's Chapel (approx. 9½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perdue Hill.
Also see . . . Tristán de Luna y Arellano from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. (Submitted on September 26, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 26, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,438 times since then and 140 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 26, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.