Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pine Orchard in Conecuh County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Old Federal Road

Fort Warren

 
 
Old Federal Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By TRCP Alliance, September 25, 2011
1. Old Federal Road Marker
Inscription.  Site of Fort Warren, built in 1816 by Colonel Richard Warren, who owned considerable land in this vicinity. This facility was used as a refuge for settlers who feared for their lives in the early days of the aftermath of the Creek Indian Wars of 1812-1814.
 
Erected 1998 by Monroe County Heritage Museum and J. L. Bedsole Foundation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesRoads & VehiclesWars, US Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1816.
 
Location. 31° 38.194′ N, 87° 8.204′ W. Marker is in Pine Orchard, Alabama, in Conecuh County. Marker is on Old Federal Road (County Road 5) south of County Road 42, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Evergreen AL 36401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Longmire Stagecoach Stop & First Post Office in Conecuh County (approx. 3˝ miles away); James Salter (approx. 4 miles away); Dr. Watkins House (approx. 4.7 miles away); a different
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker also named Old Federal Road (approx. 5˝ miles away); Burnt Corn Male Academy (approx. 5.8 miles away); a different marker also named Old Federal Road (approx. 6.1 miles away); Dr. John Watkins (approx. 6.1 miles away); First School in Conecuh County (approx. 6˝ miles away).
 
More about this marker. County Road 5 serves as the county line between Monroe and Conecuh Counties. Even though this marker was placed by the Monroe County Heritage Museum it does stand on the Conecuh County side of the road.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .
1. Fort Warren. (Submitted on September 30, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
2. Old Federal Road. Encyclopedia of Alabama entry (Submitted on September 30, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.) 
 
Old Federal Road Marker (South Bound View) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By TRCP Alliance, September 25, 2011
2. Old Federal Road Marker (South Bound View)
Old Federal Road Marker (North Bound View) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By TRCP Alliance, September 25, 2011
3. Old Federal Road Marker (North Bound View)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,252 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on September 29, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.   2, 3. submitted on September 30, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=47689

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024