Moorefield in Hardy County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Moorefield Presbyterian Church
The Rev. William V. Wilson, the minister, was an outspoken Confederate sympathizer as was his congregation, which was composed of Moorefield's prominent, wealthy residents. Many sons of the older congregants served in the county militia and in regular Confederate army units.
Even before the fighting began, Wilson urged the members to prepare for large-scale warfare to ensure success. Because his sentiments were well known to Union commanders, Wilson left in February 1862 and never returned. Instead, he served as a chaplain in the Confederate army, principally in the Shenandoah Valley.
Both sides utilized the church as a hospital during the war, and Union soldiers burned pews for firewood and stabled their horses inside. Because of the damage, the congregation suspended services from early in 1862 until mid-1865.
Merchant Samuel A. McMechen, who lived down the street
The church was repaired after the war. The wings date to 1928 and 1855.
Erected by West Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Science & Medicine • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1862.
Location. 39° 3.702′ N, 78° 58.18′ W. Marker is in Moorefield, West Virginia, in Hardy County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (U.S. 220) and Winchester Avenue, on the right when traveling north on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 109 South Main Street, Moorefield WV 26836, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Presbyterian Church (here, next to this marker); Moorefield (within shouting distance of this marker); McMechen House (about 300 feet away, S. A. McMechen House (about 300 feet away); Hardy County's First Court House (about 500 feet away); Maslin House (about 600 feet away); The Parsonage (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moorefield.
More about this marker. On the lower left is a portrait of Rev. Wilson. In the upper center is a photo of the church from 1909. On the lower right is another photo of the church from 1880.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,499 times since then and 80 times this year. Last updated on October 4, 2011, by Linda Walcroft of Woodstock, Virginia. Photos: 1. submitted on July 18, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 2. submitted on July 26, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on July 18, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 4. submitted on July 26, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.