South Kingstown in Washington County, Rhode Island — The American Northeast (New England)
At this “round rock,” noted Indian landmark, the original purchase of this land was made from Quassaquanch, Kachanaquant, and Quequaquenuet, chief Sachems of the Narragansetts, by Samuel Wilbor, John Hull, John Porter, Samuel Wilson, and Thomas Mumford, January 20, 1657-8. Here at Treaty Rock Roger Williams and William Coddington probably completed purchase of Providence and Aquidneck, March 24, 1637-8, and the Atherton Company in 1662 foreclosed its mortgage on the Narragansett lands.
Erected 1958 by Town of South Kingston.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1662.
Location. 41° 28.265′ N, 71° 27.086′ W. Marker is in South Kingstown, Rhode Island, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Middlebridge Road and John Street, on the right when traveling south on Middlebridge Road. Marker is located in Treaty Rock Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wakefield RI 02879, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured Carter Jackson Monument (approx. 1.9 miles away); Honor Roll Town of Narragansett World War (approx. 2.7 miles away); a different marker also named Honor Roll Town of Narragansett World War (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Narragansett Pier (approx. 2.8 miles away); Conanicut Battery (approx. 3 miles away); History of the Beavertail Light Station (approx. 3.1 miles away); Whale Rock Lighthouse (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Assistant Keeper's House (approx. 3.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,402 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 9, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.