Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bernardston in Franklin County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Connable Fort

1630 - 1930

 
 
Connable Fort image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Russell C. Bixby, March 26, 2012
1. Connable Fort
Inscription.  
Site of the second fort and building in Fall Town, erected in 1739 by Samuel Connable. Its original timbers are still in the house on a knoll to the northwest.
 
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony-Tercentenary Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraWar, French and Indian. In addition, it is included in the Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1739.
 
Location. 42° 42.52′ N, 72° 34.013′ W. Marker is in Bernardston, Massachusetts, in Franklin County. Marker is on Brattleboro Road (U.S. 5), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bernardston MA 01337, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Burke Fort (approx. 1.4 miles away); Deacon Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort (approx. 2.2 miles away); Bernardston Veterans Monument (approx. 2.7 miles away); Lieut. Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort (approx. 3.8 miles away); Pond Road Chapel
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 3.9 miles away in Vermont); a different marker also named Pond Road Chapel (approx. 3.9 miles away in Vermont); The Dam at Franklin Pond (approx. 4˝ miles away in Vermont); George's Mill (approx. 4.6 miles away in Vermont). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bernardston.
 
Regarding Connable Fort.
This marker was placed at the site of one the forts established by Governor William Shirley, along the northern border of Massachusetts, as a defense against the French and their Indian allies. Construction of these forts or fortified houses immediately preceded the French & Indian War (1754-1763).
These frontier fortifications of the Massachusetts Bay Colony were the subject of a 2006 publication titled The Line of Forts (Historical Archaeology on the Colonial Frontier of Massachusetts) by Michael D. Coe.
(Submitted on July 6, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.)
 
Also see . . .  Tercentenary Commission Markers. Internet Archive website entry:
Original 1930 publication by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of Tercentenary Commission Markers, commemorating the three hundredth anniversary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. (Submitted on May 21, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.)
Connable Fort Marker after restoration image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tony Farrick, December 27, 2011
2. Connable Fort Marker after restoration
 
 
Connable Fort , Route 5, Brattleboro Road (North) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Russell C. Bixby, March 26, 2012
3. Connable Fort , Route 5, Brattleboro Road (North)
Connable Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Russell C. Bixby, May 20, 2011
4. Connable Fort Marker
Marker prior to restoration.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 20, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 1,413 times since then and 46 times this year. Last updated on October 26, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. Photos:   1. submitted on July 27, 2012, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.   2. submitted on January 1, 2012, by Tony Farrick of Shelburne Falls, Ma..   3. submitted on July 27, 2012, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.   4. submitted on May 20, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=48774

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024