Scituate in Plymouth County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Site of Stockbridge Mansion
1630 - 1930
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony-Tercentenary Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1660.
Location. 42° 10.688′ N, 70° 44.962′ W. Marker is in Scituate, Massachusetts, in Plymouth County. Marker is on Country Way just north of the Greenbush Rotary, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Scituate MA 02066, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Stockbridge Grist Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Oaken Bucket (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mann Historical Museum First Training Field (approx. 1.1 miles away); Site of the First Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); First Meeting House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Men of Kent Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Cudworth House (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scituate.
Regarding Site of Stockbridge Mansion. The pond visible in Photo 2 is referred to in these lines from Samuel Woodworth’s poem:
The wide spreading pond, and the mill that stood by it,
The bridge and the rock where the cataract fell...
Also see . . . Historical markers erected by Massachusetts Bay Colony. Original 1930 publication by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of Tercentenary Commission Markers, commemorating the three hundredth anniversary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. (Submitted on November 17, 2009, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2009, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 1,798 times since then and 94 times this year. Last updated on October 26, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 15, 2009, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.