Norton in Hunterdon County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Van Syckles Tavern
Est. 1763 Served Workers from Union Forge. David Reynolds Owner and Builder. Hanged in 1765 by the British for Counterfeiting
Erected 2000 by Hunterdon County Cultural and Heritage Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Law Enforcement. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Hunterdon County Cultural and Heritage Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1763.
Location. 40° 39.052′ N, 74° 58.247′ W. Marker is in Norton, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker is at the intersection of Charlestown Road (County Road 635) and Van Syckles Road, on the right when traveling west on Charlestown Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hampton NJ 08827, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. David Reynolds Tavern/Joseph Van Syckel Residence (within shouting distance of this marker); Joseph Turner House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Perryville Tavern (approx. 1.2 miles Bethlehem Baptist Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Union Township World War II Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); Bog Meadows (approx. 1.9 miles away); Tower Hill Farm (approx. 1.9 miles away); Swayze Mine (approx. 2 miles away).
Regarding Van Syckles Tavern. The area known as Van Syckles Corner is a crossroads settlement of three modern houses, the weatherbeaten frame of a former store, and the graceful stone and frame house that was, until 1860, Van Syckles Tavern. A cornerstone bears the date 1763. For many years the inn was a stopping place for Philadelphians enroute to Schooley's Mountain Springs; Joseph Bonaparte, brother of Napoleon, stayed here on his frequent trips from Bordentown. The builder, who the present descendants of the Van Syckle family point out was no relative of theirs, was hanged at High Bridge for counterfeiting Continental money during the Revolutionary War.
Source: New Jersey: A Guide to Its Present and Past, originally published in 1939 by New Jersey Guild Associates. Currently published by U.S. History Publishers.
The Van Syckel Corner District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Also see . . . Revolutionary War Sites in Hampton Borough, New Jersey. Revolutionary War New Jersey website entry (Submitted on November 25, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 22, 2008, by William Honachefsky Jr of High Bridge/Clinton Twp, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 3,695 times since then and 270 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 22, 2008, by William Honachefsky Jr of High Bridge/Clinton Twp, New Jersey. 2, 3. submitted on February 20, 2014, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. 4. submitted on January 22, 2008, by William Honachefsky Jr of High Bridge/Clinton Twp, New Jersey. 5, 6. submitted on January 27, 2008, by William Honachefsky Jr of High Bridge/Clinton Twp, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.