Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ligonier in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Building the Highway

Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor

 
 
Building the Highway Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., June 11, 2011
1. Building the Highway Marker
Inscription.  
This cement marker is one of 3,000 markers that were erected along the Lincoln Highway from New York City to San Francisco, approximately one per mile.

On September 1, 1928, cement posts with bronze medallions bearing President Lincoln's profile and the highway's red, white, and blue emblem were erected with the help of Boy Scouts. Pennsylvania had over 300 of these markers, but only about 20 remain today.

Excerpt from July 16, 1919 newspaper article:
"Everybody was pleased Friday afternoon when it was announced that the 18 feet of concreting along the Main Street being a part of the Lincoln Highway was completed. In a short time the street will be opened the entire length of the town and automobile drivers will have one of the finest mile drives on the Lincoln Highway between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Let everybody forget that Ligonier Main Street once was muddy and sometimes almost impassable and now enjoy the smooth fine grade from one end of the street to the other."

Hold a coin or a car key against the stainless steel contact pins to listen as Hadley Martin of Ligonier, PA shares early Lincoln Highway
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
memories.
 
Erected by Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsIndustry & CommerceMan-Made FeaturesRoads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Lincoln Highway series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1962.
 
Location. 40° 14.574′ N, 79° 14.242′ W. Marker is in Ligonier, Pennsylvania, in Westmoreland County. Marker is on Main Street near Market Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker is southeast of the Town Square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ligonier PA 15658, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Desert Storm Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Fort Ligonier (within shouting distance of this marker); Ligonier Town Square Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); Ligonier War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Highway Enterprise (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Fort Ligonier (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Ligonier (about 700 feet away); Roadside Enterprise (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ligonier.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Lincoln Highway: An Introduction
Building the Highway Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., June 11, 2011
2. Building the Highway Marker
. (Submitted on November 6, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor. (Submitted on November 6, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Lincoln Highway Association. (Submitted on November 6, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Lincoln Highway Cement Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., June 11, 2011
3. Lincoln Highway Cement Marker
Diagram on Building the Highway Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Unknown, undated
4. Diagram on Building the Highway Marker
Courtesy of National Archives and Records Administration
Photo on Building the Highway Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Unknown, mid/1920s
5. Photo on Building the Highway Marker
[Caption reads] A mid-1920's view of the Diamond looking east. Courtesy of Ray Graham.
Photo on Building the Highway Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Unknown, undated
6. Photo on Building the Highway Marker
Courtesy of National Archives and Records Administration
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 662 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 6, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=49264

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 19, 2024