Alvin in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
On Feb. 11, 1919 F. E. Acton, Y. M. Edwards, E. G. Ward, W. L. Kidd, O. W. Glascock, and W. C. Wilson decided to pass the cemetery governing to their successors since their "body of veterans had thinned down" and they were not able to bear the responsibility. The Lamar Fontain Chapter of the U. D. C. unveiled the large monument on May 9, 1924. Veteran J. L. Durham was inadvertently ommitted.
Articles of a non-profit, voluntary corporation were established Dec. 28, 1934 and rewritten Apr. 26, 1983. In 1968 the trustees established a mowing fund. This fund now operates under the State of Texas laws where provision is made in Sec. 6, Art. 912A for taxing lot owners for "care and upkeep". This was the first cemetery in the county kept mowed under this provision.
Trustees attempt to maintain the operation of the cemetery in the spirit in which it was originally intended and strive to develop policies in keeping with the consensus of
Erected 1986 by Confederate Cemetery Trustees.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1864.
Location. 29° 25.764′ N, 95° 13.696′ W. Marker is in Alvin, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker can be reached from Dickinson Road near Dickinson Road and Highway 35 Bypass, on the right when traveling east. The coordinates are for the entrance to the cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alvin TX 77511, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Confederate Cemetery (here, next to this marker); Nolan Ryan (approx. 1.1 miles away); Cummings - Smith House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Old City Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Alvin (approx. 1½ miles away); Birchfield - McCown House (approx. 1½ miles away); First Methodist Church of Alvin (approx. 1.9 miles away); Magnolia Creek Cemetery (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alvin.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,433 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 4, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.