Leeland in Stafford County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
History at Leeland Station
Primmer opposed secession and sent one of his sons to enlist in the Union army. Abram himself aided Confederate deserters and served as a local guide for Union forces. When the Union army occupied Stafford County in the summer of 1862, it used the Primmer fields as pasture for cattle. The largest intrusion upon Belle Air came in the winter of 1862-1863, when the home and farm became a camping ground for the Army of the Potomac’s Third Corps.
The house survived into the mid-twentieth century, at which time the property was known as Walnut Farm. Today, the building no longer stands.
Erected by Maryland Development Company LLC and the homeowners of
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1854.
Location. 38° 20.565′ N, 77° 26.787′ W. Marker is in Leeland, Virginia, in Stafford County. Marker is on Riggs Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 Riggs Road, Fredericksburg VA 22405, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Pitcher (approx. half a mile away); Land for God's Work (approx. 0.9 miles away); "Lest We Forget" (approx. 1.4 miles away); Cavalry Review (approx. 1.6 miles away); Lincoln Review (approx. 1.7 miles away); On this site in 1862... (approx. 1.7 miles away); James Hunter (approx. 1.8 miles away); Hobby School (approx. 1.8 miles away).
Regarding History at Leeland Station. An area has been set aside on an as yet to be developed land for Civil War Historic Site Preservation.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 29, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,919 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on January 29, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.