Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Abram Maury

 
 
Abram Maury Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Hitt, December 17, 2011
1. Abram Maury Marker
Inscription.  Abram Maury (1766-1825) came to this area from Virginia in 1797 to settle on 640 acres he purchased from Major Anthony Sharpe. In 1798, he reserved a square-shaped area of 109 acres for a town he intended to name Marthasville for his wife. Instead, the town was named Franklin in honor of Benjamin Franklin. Maury, who was a prosperous planter, surveyor and state senator, donated lands for a public square, streets, and a Methodist Church. His log home, Treelawn, stood a short distance north. The nearby family cemetery, where he and Martha are buried, remains inside Founders Pointe.
 
Erected 1994 by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee – Williamson County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1797.
 
Location. 35° 55.792′ N, 86° 53.748′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of Founders Pointe Boulevard
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and New Highway 96 (State Route 96), on the right when traveling north on Founders Pointe Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin TN 37064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Franklin Noon Rotary Rodeo (approx. 0.7 miles away); DeGraffenreid Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Rev. Mark Lyell Locke Andrews (approx. 0.7 miles away); Charles C. Johnson School (approx. ¾ mile away); Major Anthony Sharpe (1746-1812)/ George Hulme (1761-1835) (approx. 0.8 miles away); Hard Bargain (approx. 0.9 miles away); Harpeth Academy (approx. one mile away); Toussaint L'Ouverture Cemetery (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Abram Maury Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Hitt, December 17, 2011
2. Abram Maury Marker
Maury Cemetery referred to on marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Hitt, December 17, 2011
3. Maury Cemetery referred to on marker
Rutherford Lane
Abram Maury monument image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Darren Jefferson Clay, November 3, 2020
4. Abram Maury monument
Abram Maury gravestone image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Darren Jefferson Clay, November 3, 2020
5. Abram Maury gravestone
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 17, 2011, by Richard Hitt of Franklin, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 1,347 times since then and 68 times this year. Last updated on December 18, 2011, by Richard Hitt of Franklin, Tennessee. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 17, 2011, by Richard Hitt of Franklin, Tennessee.   4, 5. submitted on December 31, 2020, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=50694

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 26, 2024