Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Leesburg in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Douglass Community School

 
 
Douglass Community School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, February 2, 2008
1. Douglass Community School Marker
Inscription.  Before the construction of this high school, there were no schools beyond 7th grade for black students in Loudoun County. Late in the 1930s, the parent-teacher associations of various black schools formed the County-Wide League to raise money to build a high school. The league hired well-known civil rights attorney Charles H. Houston to help persuade county officials to allocate funds for the new school. In 1941 the league succeeded in obtaining a loan of $30,000 from the State Literary Fund. Named for Frederick Douglass, the noted black abolitionist and orator, the school still serves the county today.
 
Erected 2007 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number F-35.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansCivil RightsEducation. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1941.
 
Location. 39° 6.59′ N, 77° 33.242′ W. Marker is in Leesburg, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
at the intersection of East Market Street (Business State Highway 7) and Sycolin Road (County Route 643), on the right when traveling west on East Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 407 East Market Street, Leesburg VA 20175, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Douglass High School (within shouting distance of this marker); The Leesburg Lime Company (approx. 0.4 miles away); George Catlett Marshall (approx. 0.4 miles away); General George C. Marshall House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gen. George C. Marshall House (approx. 0.4 miles away); This Is W&OD Trail: Leesburg! (approx. half a mile away); Stationmaster's House (approx. half a mile away); The Depot (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leesburg.
 
Also see . . .  Douglass Community School. A short history and listing of principals. (Submitted on February 2, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Douglass Community School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, February 2, 2008
2. Douglass Community School Marker
Douglass Community School Today image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, February 2, 2008
3. Douglass Community School Today
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 2, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,186 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 2, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=5096

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024