Near Hibbing in Saint Louis County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Finnish Workers Hall
They built this building on this site in 1909. It was used for stage plays, dances and other social events put on for the Finnish community.
It was also a place for the workers to discuss working conditions and how to improve them. They were very instrumental in organizing the first unions.
Location. 47° 26.682′ N, 92° 56.405′ W. Marker is near Hibbing, Minnesota, in Saint Louis County. Marker is on Lincoln Street east of 2nd Avenue North, on the right when traveling east. Marker can be reached from Greyhound Boulevard/3rd Avenue East. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hibbing MN 55746, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Moving the Town (within shouting distance of this marker); Business District (within shouting distance of this marker); Frank Hibbing (within shouting distance of this marker); Schools (within shouting distance of this marker); Carnegie Library Oliver Club (within shouting distance of this marker); Oliver Mining Co. Headquarters / Oliver Shop Laboratory (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Train Depot / Street Car Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hibbing.
Regarding Finnish Workers Hall. The nearby Hull-Rust Mine began mining operations in 1896. The Village of Hibbing grew up near this mine pit. In 1918 all the buildings in the northern section of town were mounted on steel wheels and moved two miles to the south to make room for the mine's expansion.
Additional keywords. North Hibbing
Categories. • Labor Unions • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Finnish Workers Hall.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 4, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,586 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 4, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.