Lewistown in Mifflin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected in 1755-56 along the river just south. An important link in the chain of early frontier defenses. Destroyed July 30, 1756 by French and Indians under Capt. Coulon de Villiers.
Erected 1947 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts and Castles • Native Americans • War, French and Indian. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 30, 1756.
Location. 40° 35.298′ N, 77° 36.093′ W. Marker is in Lewistown, Pennsylvania, in Mifflin County. Marker is on 4th Street (U.S. 22) near State Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1200 West 4th Street, Lewistown PA 17044, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fort Granville (here, next to this marker); Juniata Terrace War Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Union Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); World War II Memorial Mifflin County Memorial Bridge (approx. 1.3 miles away); Lewistown Station (approx. 1.3 miles away); Together (approx. 1.3 miles away); Coleman House (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewistown.
Also see . . . Fort Granville. (Submitted on February 7, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 7, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 519 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 7, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.