Lewistown in Mifflin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
About 650 yards south of this spot, on the high bank of the Juniata River, was the site of Fort Granville, which was erected in 1755-56. This fort was twice attacked by the Indians. It was destroyed on July 30, 1756, when in command of Lieut. Edward Armstrong, who was killed in the battle with a large body of French and Indians. The entire garrison was either killed or carried into captivity.
Erected 1916 by Pennyslvania Historical Commission and the Committee on Historical Research of Mifflin County.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Native Americans • Patriots & Patriotism • War, French and Indian. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1866.
Location. 40° 35.296′ N, 77° 36.095′ W. Marker is in Lewistown, Pennsylvania, in Mifflin County. Marker is on 4th Street (U.S. 22/522), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1200 West 4th Street, Lewistown PA 17044, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Fort Granville (here, next to this marker); Juniata Terrace War Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Union Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); World War II Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Mifflin County Memorial Bridge (approx. 1.3 miles away); Lewistown Station (approx. 1.3 miles away); Together (approx. 1.3 miles away); Coleman House (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewistown.
Also see . . . Fort Granville. (Submitted on February 8, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 8, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,310 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 8, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on February 7, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.