Franklin Lakes in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Known to the Indians as “Michanagrape,” these waters were formed by the melting glacier some 10,000 years ago. In 1700 the lake was named Christian Pool when it was included in a land grant to Michael Hawden. Later called Great Pond, Big Pond and Crystal Pool, it became Franklin Lake in the late 19th century. The land around the lake was settled in the late 1700’s by farmers of Dutch heritage. The area was long known as the Ponds Neighborhood.
Erected 1984 by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 77.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1700.
Location. 40° 59.568′ N, 74° 12.949′ W. Marker is in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on Franklin Lake Road west of Wyandotte Dr., on the leftTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin Lakes NJ 07417, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ackerman-Boyd House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Franklin Avenue (approx. 2.1 miles away); Franklin Lakes United Methodist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Wyckoff Reformed Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Van Voorhees – Quackenbush – Zabriskie House (approx. 2.4 miles away); Stagg Homestead (approx. 2.4 miles away); Jacobus S. Demarest House (approx. 2˝ miles away); Oakland (approx. 2˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin Lakes.
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. Society website entry (Submitted on February 24, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 24, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 730 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 24, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.