Columbus in Platte County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The North Brothers
The West produced many fighting men and ranking high among them are Frank and Luther North of Columbus, leaders of the legendary Pawnee Scouts. The Pawnee, located at their nearby reservation, were eager to cooperate with the Army in fighting their hereditary enemies the Sioux and Cheyenne. Organized as a fighting unit in 1864, they participated in the Powder River Campaigns of 1865 and 1876-1877 and the Republican River Campaign of 1869. They also guarded the builders of the first transcontinental railroad, 1867-1869. William F. Cody, "Buffalo Bill," later Frank North's ranching partner, first became associated with him in the campaign which culminated with the battle of Summit Springs, 1869.
Frank North was the commander of the Scouts and one of the West's most successful Indian fighters. The Pawnee revered him and knew him as Pani Leshar or Pawnee Chief. He was assisted on most of the campaigns by his brother Luther. The two brothers spoke Pawnee and a mutual respect and affection existed between them and the Indian soldiers. A number of other Columbus men, including Lt. Gustavus G. Becher, served as officers of the Scouts.
Erected by Becher-Curry Company and Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 100.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Patriots & Patriotism • Railroads & Streetcars • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list.
Location. 41° 25.408′ N, 97° 22.108′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Nebraska, in Platte County. Marker is at the intersection of 33rd Avenue (U.S. 30/81) and 7th Street on 33rd Avenue. Marker is at the Chamber of Commerce, adjacent to Pawnee Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 764 33rd Avenue, Columbus NE 68601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Villasur Expedition (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Bernard Catholic Church Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named St. Bernard Catholic Church Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Congregational Church Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named St. Bernard Catholic Church Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Good Shepherd Lutheran Church Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); North Branch, Oregon Trail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Columbus Quincentenary Belltower (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Also see . . . Frank Joshua North. (Submitted on March 3, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 3, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 446 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 3, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.