Grand Island in Hall County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Fort O. K. Cannon
left at Fort O. K.
August 22, 1865
Major J. R. Curtis
for protection of the
settlement against attack
by hostile Indians.
March 1, 1897
under Act of Congress,
May 22, 1896.
Erected 1939 by Betsey Hager Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Man-Made Features • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list.
Location. 40° 55.399′ N, 98° 20.375′ W. Marker is in Grand Island, Nebraska, in Hall County. Marker is on Locust Street near 1st Street (U.S. 30), on the left when traveling south. Marker is on the grounds of the county courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 West 1st Street, Grand Island NE 68801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civil War and Spanish-American War Memorial Hall County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); The Yancey (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Federal Building (about 500 feet away); Old Dodge School (about 600 feet away); Martin Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lincoln Memorial Highway (approx. 0.3 miles away); Grand Island Public School Bell (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Island.
Regarding Fort O. K. Cannon.
THE O.K. STORE
The first settlers of Hall County, Nebraska, nearly all of whom were German immigrants, arrived on July 5, 1857. They platted Grand Island City and established farms. The O.K. Store of Henry A. Koenig and Fred Wiebe, located near the Mormon Trail, was opened near this site in 1862. It was the first store in the settlement and it also served as the first telegraph station.
During the Indian uprising of 1864 and 1865 many Platte Valley settlers fled but the Grand Island settlers remained. They fortified the O.K. Store with a sod stockade which sheltered 68 men and 100 women. To give shelter to 35 more persons, William Stolley built "Fort Independence" about two miles west.
On August 22, 1865, General S. R. Curtis and his troops visited "Fort O.K." Impressed by the settlers' preparations for defense Curtis left a six-pounder cannon, which is still preserved in Hall County. Because of the fortifications "Fort O.K." and Grand Island escaped Indian attacks.
- Nebraska State Historical Society
Also see . . . Nebraska Forts. (Submitted on March 5, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 5, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 601 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 5, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.