Near Lyons in Rice County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Fray Juan de Padilla
This Cross is erected to the memory of Father Padilla, Franciscan Missionary, who stood with Coronado at the erection of the first Christian Cross on these prairies. Father Padilla devoted his life to the service of the Cross and to the Indians of Quivira and suffered a martyr's death in that service in the year of our Lord 1542.
The symbol on the Cross is inscribed, Jesus Christ, Victor, and expresses the victory of faith and sacrifice. The square, quartered by the Cross, denotes the four corners of the World brought into Christian unity when Father Padilla carried the Cross of Christianity to the center of the New World.
This cross rededicated by the
Knights of Columbus of Kansas
in celebration of their Centennial in the
September 17, 2000
Erected 1950 by Knights of Columbus of Kansas.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Exploration • Hispanic Americans • Native Americans. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1864.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lyons KS 67554, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Coronado and Quivira (within shouting distance of this marker); Cow Creek Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Rice County Historical Mural (approx. 3.9 miles away); Civil War and Veterans Memorial (approx. 4 miles away); Workman Park (approx. 4.1 miles away); Santa Fe Trail (approx. 4.3 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.4 miles away); Cooper Hall (approx. 9˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lyons.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Juan de Padilla. (Submitted on March 8, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Francisco Juan de Padilla in 1912 Kansas Cyclopedia. (Submitted on March 8, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 8, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 606 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 8, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.