Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Soap Creek Paper Mills
July 5, 1864. The mills were burned by a detachment of Gen. Kenner Garrard’s cavalry division while guarding the left flank of Federal forces preparing to cross the Chattahoochee River at the mouth of Soap Creek. Rebuilt after the war, the mills burned in 1870. Restored in 1871, they operated until 1902.
Erected 1993 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 033-91.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1854.
Location. 33° 56.267′ N, 84° 26.6′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Road to parking lot for Chattahoochee River Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta GA 30067, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The 23d Corps at Soap Creek (here, next to this marker); The 23D Corps at Soap Creek (within shouting distance of this marker); Gantt House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Confederate Battery Position (approx. 1.4 miles away); Isom's Ferry (approx. 1.7 miles away); Genuine Parts Company (approx. 2 miles away); Garrard & Newton Move on Roswell (approx. 2.3 miles away); The River Patrol & Cochran’s Ford (approx. 2˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker of the same title and similar text erected by the Georgia Historical Commission, which had disappeared from its original site at Paper Mill Road at the Soap Creek bridge, near this location.
Regarding Soap Creek Paper Mills. A trail leads from the marker and the parking lot through the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area to the ruins of the paper mills on Soap Creek.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 13, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 3,134 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on March 14, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 13, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.