Near Charlottesville in Albemarle County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Tobacco Barn ca.1790
However, in time, these same planters cursed tobacco for depleting the soil. Furthermore, as the 19th century approached, tobacco became less profitable. Farmers switched to wheat, corn and other “small grains” which allowed the Old Dominion to be more self sufficient.
This barn was relocated to Michie Tavern in 1992. In the near future this structure will restored much like the The Clothier and Metal Smith Shop.
Erected by Michie Tavern.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Agriculture.
Location. 38° 0.493′ N, 78° 27.885′ W. Marker is near Charlottesville, Virginia, in Albemarle County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Thomas Jefferson Parkway (Virginia Route 53) and Mitchie Tavern Lane (County Road Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 683 Thomas Jefferson Parkway, Charlottesville VA 22902, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Meadow Run Grist Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Piney River Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); The Monticello Graveyard (approx. half a mile away); Charcoal (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wood Trades (approx. 0.6 miles away); Nail-Making (approx. 0.6 miles away); Nursery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Discovering Mulberry Row (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charlottesville.
Also see . . . Mitchie Tavern. (Submitted on March 19, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 17, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 598 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 17, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. 3, 4. submitted on November 26, 2016, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.