Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Clayton's Div., Lee's A.C.
Moving northward in the heavily wooded area, their assault fell upon the Federal line at the salient angle (at Laurel Ave. and Archer. St.), occupied by the left flank, Logan’s 15th A. C.
Unsupported on the left and counter-attacked in front, Clayton’s troops withdrew after two attempts to dislodge the Federals. Loring’s Div., Stewart’s A. C., deployed in this vicinity, was not ordered into the battle.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-145.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 28, 1942.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 33° 44.833′ Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30310, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named Clayton’s Div., Lee’s A.C. (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Clayton's Div., Lee's A.C. (approx. Ľ mile away); Battle of Ezra Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Ezra Church (approx. half a mile away); The Confederate Attack (approx. half a mile away); The Union Dispositions (approx. half a mile away); The Battle of Ezra Church / The Preliminary Operations (approx. half a mile away); Battle of Ezra Ch. (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
More about this marker. This marker was originally installed at Wellington and Elixir Streets, from where it vanished about 1980. (A replacement marker was installed at that site in 1985; see marker no. 36085.) This marker was later recovered and installed on a new post across Interstate Highway 20 from the original location. (The construction of I-20 cut through the site of the Battle of Ezra Church, and cut off many streets in the area.) A former manager of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources Historic Marker Shop once stated that at the time this marker was installed here, they were unaware that the 1985 replacement marker still stood at the original location.
The text for the missing marker was taken from “Georgia Historical Markers” (Bay Tree Grove, Second Edition 1978) compiled by Carroll P. Scruggs from the records of the Georgia Historical Commission.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 19, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 559 times since then and 6 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on March 19, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.