Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic Site in Cambria County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Skew Arch Bridge Trail
The spur trail to your left leads 1/3 mile down the east slope of the mountain to the historic Skew Arch Bridge. The bridge is located near the base of the portage railroad's Incline No. 6. The trail roughly parallels the incline.
The Skew Arch Bridge was completed in 1834 to carry travelers on the Huntingdon, Cambria & Indiana Turnpike over the portage railroad. The road also accommodated wagons, horses, and livestock. The railroad closed in 1854, but the road bridge remained in service until 1922.
Builders "skewed" the angle of the bridge to allow the road to cross Incline No. 6 without making an awkward bend. Today the bridge with its interwoven diagonal planes and pleasing lines stands as a superb example of stone masonry design and craftsmanship.
Erected by National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 40° 27.367′ N, 78° 33.003′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 Federal Park Road, Gallitzin PA 16641, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Engine House No. 6 (here, next to this marker); Inclined Plane No. 6 (here, next to this marker); Allegheny Portage Railroad (a few steps from this marker); Railroad Stone (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Lemon House (about 400 feet away); Levels (about 400 feet away); Summit Level Historic Area (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Lemon House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic Site.
Also see . . . Allegheny Portage National Historic Site. (Submitted on March 21, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 21, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 618 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 21, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.