Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
John White, Architect, 1924
— Listed on the National Register of Historic Places —
designated in 2004
This building replace the original Bernard Maybeck clubhouse that was destroyed by the 1923 North Berkeley Fire. Maybeck’s brother-in-law, John White, designed this shingle-style building to reflect the architectural intent of the original. The asymmetric two-story building, with its monumental fireplace, is built of materials indigenous to the area.
Erected 2008 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Environment • Notable Buildings.
Location. 37° 52.736′ N, 122° 15.892′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County. Marker can be reached from Cedar Street Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2286 Cedar Street, Berkeley CA 94709, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. North Berkeley Congregational (Grace North) Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Peet’s Coffee & Tea (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Hunrick Grocery Store (approx. ¼ mile away); Benjamin Ide Wheeler House and Garden (approx. 0.3 miles away); La Loma Steps (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hillside School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rose Walk (approx. 0.3 miles away); Whittier School (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
Also see . . . The Hillside Club - History. The Hillside Club was founded by a group of Berkeley women who wished to protect the Berkeley hillsides by promoting the development of the community in environmentally sensitive ways. (Submitted on April 7, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 7, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 468 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 7, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.