Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Richmond in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Defenses of Richmond

 
 
Defenses of Richmond Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, April 9, 2012
1. Defenses of Richmond Marker
Inscription.  Nearby stood one of the outer Confederate defensive lines that guarded Richmond during the Civil War (1861-1865). A series of earthworks and fortifications was built to protect the city and to allow the outnumbered Confederates to make maximum use of their manpower. By war’s end, the defensive system included three concentric lines of earthworks, batteries, and fortifications. A permanent Confederate garrison defended Richmond, often manning the lines in times of emergency. The proximity of the Union army during the final year of the war forced the Confederates to occupy the city’s defenses continuously.
 
Erected 2010 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number PA-139.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list.
 
Location. 37° 29.362′ N, 77° 20.553′ W. Marker is near Richmond, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker is on Richmond Airport Connector Road south of Seven
Defenses of Richmond Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, April 9, 2012
2. Defenses of Richmond Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Hills Boulevard, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2901 7 Hills Blvd, Henrico VA 23231, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 1862 Peninsula Campaign (a few steps from this marker); Lee vs. Grant (a few steps from this marker); Fort Lee (approx. 0.6 miles away); Richmond Defences (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Richmond Defences (approx. 1.1 miles away); Second Battle of Fair Oaks (approx. 1.2 miles away); Battle of Darbytown Road (approx. 1.2 miles away); Darbytown Road / Pioneer Baptist Church (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
Also see . . .
1. Eastern Henrico History. Pocahontas 895 (Submitted on April 9, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.) 

2. Richmond Fortifications (Google Maps). The inner line just outside the war-time city limits consisted of 17 numbered "star" forts and seven outworks. (Submitted on April 9, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 667 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=54251

Paid Advertisement
Sep. 19, 2021