Lancaster in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Rev. Thomas Barton
The Rev. Thomas Barton
1730 – 1780
British Missionary who served for 19 years with distinction as third rector of St. James Church 1759-1778. True to his ordination vows, he remained loyal to the Crown during the American Revolution. Political differences between him and the Patriot members of his congregation caused the church to be closed in 1776 for the duration of the War. After his resignation as Rector in 1778, he was given military escort to a point within the British Lines in New York City and denied right of return to Penna. Separated from his children, parishioners and friends, he became incurably ill and died in 1780. He was a faithful servant of Jesus Christ and valiant soldier who, despite indescribable suffering and hardship, remained steadfast in his convictions even to the end.
Location. 40° 2.402′ N, 76° 18.199′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Orange Street and N Cherry Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lancaster PA 17603, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edward Shippen (a few steps from this marker); Captain Stephen Chambers (a few steps from this marker); Jasper Yeates (a few steps from this marker); Robert Coleman (a few steps from this marker); General Edward Hand (a few steps from this marker); Colonel Matthias Slough (a few steps from this marker); Major John Light (a few steps from this marker); William Augustus Atlee (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for The Rev. Thomas Barton.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 692 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.