Decatur in Adams County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Gene Stratton - Porter
The Girl of The Limberlost,
The Song of the Cardinal, Freckles
and other nature stories.
Who came to Decatur as a bride and in
this County, at Geneva, on the banks of the
Limberlost, her first ten books were written.
She taught the Love of Nature
Dedicated by the school children
of Adams County
Erected 1926 by School Children of Adams County.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Environment • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1926.
Location. 40° 49.779′ N, 84° 55.447′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Indiana, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of South 2nd Street and Court Street, on the right when traveling south on South 2nd Street. Located on the South/East lawn of the Adams County Courthouse in Decatur, Indiana. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 South 2nd Street, Decatur IN 46733, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Adams County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Adams County Peace Monument - Honor Rolls (within shouting distance of this marker); John Lingenfelter (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Wayne Trace (approx. 3.4 miles away); Site of Indian Reservation (approx. 8.1 miles away in Ohio); Willshire, Ohio (approx. 8.9 miles away in Ohio); Willshire Veterans Memorial (approx. 9.4 miles away in Ohio); a different marker also named Adams County Veterans Memorial (approx. 11.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Also see . . . Gene Strattion-Porter Memorial Society. (Submitted on April 20, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 18, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 804 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 20, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.