Leonia in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This section of Leonia was purchased from the Indians by Captain John Berry under a patent dated 1669. Capt. Berry was governor of Nova Caesarea (New Jersey) 1672-3.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Native Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1669.
Location. 40° 51.379′ N, 73° 59.831′ W. Marker is in Leonia, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of Grand Avenue (County Route 93) and W Oakdene Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Grand Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Leonia NJ 07605, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civil War Armory and Drill Hall (a few steps from this marker); Leonia Tract (approx. ¼ mile away); Cole – Allaire – Boyd House (approx. half a mile away); Days Tavern (approx. 0.6 miles away); George Washington Memorial Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); Continental Army Encampment (approx. 0.6 miles away); Comfort Women (approx. 0.7 miles away); March to Trenton (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leonia.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 24, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 645 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 24, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.