Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Headquarters of General Joseph E. Johnston
(On Separate Plaques:)
Restored by Atlanta Paper Co. 1955
Restored by Mead Containerboard 1996
Erected 1936 by Works Progress Administration and the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 33° 47.017′ N, 84° 25.086′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is on West Marietta Street 0.1 miles west of Joseph E. Lowry Boulevard, on the left when traveling west. The marker stands in front of the Mead Paper Company plant. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 950 West Marietta Street, Atlanta GA 30318, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Army Command Changed (was here, next to this marker but has been reported missing. ); Gen. Stewart’s H'dq'rs. (was approx. 0.6 Surrender of Atlanta (approx. 0.8 miles away); Loring’s Hill (approx. one mile away); Site of Captain Overton W. Barret’s battery of Missouri. (approx. one mile away); Gen. Cleburne's H’dq’rs. (was approx. 1.1 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Davis' Hill (approx. 1.2 miles away); Outer Defense Line (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Headquarters of General Joseph E. Johnston.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 634 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 23, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.