Bainbridge in Decatur County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The J.D. Chason Memorial Park / The J.D. Chason Memorial Park History
The J.D. Chason Memorial Park
The J.D. Chason Memorial Park stands a permanent honor in memory of the late Doctor J.D. Chason. Members of his immediate family graciously presented it on December 29, 1921 to the city of Bainbridge. It is an historic location and is about two acres in size. The use of it is restricted to Park purposes.
The J.D. Chason Memorial Park History
The J.D. Chason Memorial Park is an historic location. It was here that DeSoto and his men crossed the Flint River over three centuries ago. The El Camino Real, the King’s Highway, also crossed the grounds. Located within the Park is the site of Fort Hughes, built in 1817 by U.S. Soldiers under command of Capt. John M. McIntosh, and the grave of the first soldier, Bugler Hughes, killed in the Seminole Indian War.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Forts or Castles • Roads & Vehicles • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series list.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bainbridge GA 39817, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Scott Memorial (here, next to this marker); General Andrew Jackson Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); The Second Creek War and Removal in the Decatur County Area (within shouting distance of this marker); The Battle of Fowltown (within shouting distance of this marker); Decatur County During the Creek and Seminole Wars Era (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Seminole War in Decatur County (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Hughes (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Decatur County (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bainbridge.
More about this marker. The marker is in the style of the markers erected by the Works Progress Administration in the late 1930s, but without the identification and numbering found on those markers.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 521 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 1, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.