Brinson in Decatur County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Brinson / Simeon Brinson
1847 ~ 1918
First settled in the 1850’s present day Brinson was originally known as Spring Creek. The name was changed in 1889 when the town was laid out and established by Simeon Brinson. In that same year the Alabama Midland Railroad completed a line through the town. Brinson soon became a shipping point for agricultural products, lumber and metal stores which were the major industries in the area. By an act of the Georgia General Assembly on August 22, 1907, the village was incorporated as “the Town of Brinson.” Brinson began to decline because of the closing of sawmill operations between 1910-20.
Simeon Brinson 1847-1918
The town of Brinson was named in honor of Simeon Brinson, a prominent farmer and businessman. Brinson, a native of Dougherty County, saw action during the War Between the States as a private in Company E, Fifth Georgia Cavalry. After the war he moved to Decatur County. Brinson served as the first postmaster of the Spring Creek Post Office which was established in 1874. He was still postmaster when the name of the post office was changed to Brinson on August 24, 1889. Brinson
Erected 1986 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Decatur County Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately series list.
Location. 30° 58.183′ N, 84° 43.95′ W. Marker is in Brinson, Georgia, in Decatur County. Marker is at the intersection of Dothan Road (U.S. 84) and Yates Spring Road (Georgia Route 310), on the right when traveling east on Dothan Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brinson GA 39825, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cyrene / Cyrene Institute (approx. 3.6 miles away); Bainbridge Army Air Field (approx. 7 miles away); Site of U.S. Post Office Reynoldsville, Georgia / Reuben Arthur Reynolds (approx. 7.3 miles away); Steamboats (approx. 9.9 miles away); The First Seminole War in Decatur County (approx. 10 miles away); Decatur County During the Creek and Seminole Wars Era The Battle of Fowltown (approx. 10 miles away); The Second Creek War and Removal in the Decatur County Area (approx. 10 miles away).
Also see . . . Brinson, Georgia. A Wikipedia entry for Brinson has detailed information on the town and population. (Submitted on June 5, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 4, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 606 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 4, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.